Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Maintaining Relationships

I admire the people who are able to maintain long-distance relationships. In fact, I think that their bond is stronger than some relationships that are not-so-long-distance. Actually, I'd rather be in a long distance relationship that is genuine, than one that is not long-distance, but really only hits the surface. Many people wish for "true love" and a deeper sense of being loved by someone else, but can they really maintain it? When I was about 14 years old, one of my older (and wiser) cousins told me that a relationship is "a lot of work". At the time, I didn't understand. Even when I had my first boyfriend at 17 I didn't understand. Now, 10+ years later as I reflect on my current relationship and others, I understand. A relationship is what you make of it. If you put in your time and energy, even if it means you have to "go out of your way" sometimes, then you will make it last. It really is true that you'll reap the benefits of your labor. So, my advice to all relationship members is this: if you want to maintain your relationship, put in the time and energy, or you run the risk that one day your significant other decides you're not worth their time and energy, since you didn't make them worth your time and energy in the first place.


[Disclaimer: The term "relationship" does not necessarily have to apply to romantic relationships.]

0 comments:

Post a Comment